I do not have access to Skyward until Monday, August 7th. Please watch for the message below as an email, as well as a postcard as soon as I’m able to access all of you/receive all of your mailing addresses! I can’t wait to get started!
Dear Adult(s) and Students,
Good Morning! I’m happy to share that I will be your homeroom teacher for the 2017-2018 school year! I wanted to fill you in with a little bit of information before the first day of school.
-According to Mr. Kuffel, he is hopeful that school will still begin on Monday, August 21st, with a one hour early dismissal. We all know that construction can change plans. Our leaders will keep us up-to-date and as informed as they possibly can! They already do such a wonderful job of this!
– You will be receiving postcards in the mail as soon as I’m granted access to Skyward. I think it’s a great way to make your child feel special and to connect before seeing each other. Please note the reminder for the tentative Back to School Night on Thursday, August 17th from 4-6PM on the postcard.
– You can check out my blog at https://www.gcsdstaff.org/shehorn/ to see pictures and read “All About Mrs. Shehorn.” My school blog will be one way to communicate and stay connected to what is happening in the classroom. It is slowly being updated as I continue to prepare for the year.
– Speaking of communication, please check your SPAM/JUNK mail often! IF you find an email from me (or one of the other fourth-grade-teachers), please add us to the “safe list” or mark “not junk” so it will start going to your inbox. We often send mass messages via Skyward. This sometimes results in it going to your SPAM/JUNK folder. We don’t want you to miss important announcements!
– After I meet with my fourth-grade team, I will finalize my “syllabus” to send home. I will try to post it to my blog before school starts, so my students and their adult(s) can have a sneak peek at the information before receiving it during our first week of school. This will contain info on routines, schedules, expectations, my teaching style, etc.
– I will always have your child’s best interest in mind. In the first weeks of school, we will take time to really get to know each other, make our classroom feel like our fourth-grade home, work on routines, etc. It is important to me that our students feel safe and comfortable. I’m on your side and we are a team! Always.
– Lastly, please feel free to email me if you have any questions, comments, concerns, or celebrations! We have a wonderful staff, an excellent leader, great families, a supportive community, and a beautiful school! I cannot wait to start our 2017-2018 school year together!
“Too many people grow up. That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don’t remember what it’s like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won’t do that.” – Walt Disney